Jason and Amanda Joy Wells were thirty-something newlyweds who, two weeks after tying the knot in spring 2009, moved into their first home, a beautifully preserved 1949 one owner home filled with charming character (and lots of potential)...not to mention the giant workshop and all the fruiting trees and bushes in the back yard. This site is meant to document the evolution of this house into their home as well as all of the events, occasions and happenings in and around it.


Sunday, September 9, 2012

More on turmeric


Since my last post, I've been experimenting with fresh turmeric root because I've learned that I MUST have this in my diet.  But first, here are some of the health benefits of this amazing root:
A safe anti-inflammatory
Improves digestion
Lowers cholesterol
Helps prevent gas or bloating
Improves skin conditions (i.e. eczema)
Blood purifier
Liver tonic
Natural antiseptic
...and 2 heavy hitters:
Prevents progression of Alzheimer’s
Helps prevent and reverse cancer (i.e. breast, prostate, skin, lymphoma)

The list is long and impressive.  So HOW do you add this pungent herb into your diet?  Here are three recipes that I came up with.

1. Sweet and creamy turmeric chai 

Steep the following ingredients in 6 cups of water for 20 minutes (a rice cooker works GREAT)
  • 2 'fingers' of fresh turmeric root, grated
  • 3 inch piece of ginger root, peeled and grated
  • dash of clove powder (or 2 whole cloves)
  • 3 heaping tablespoons of cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
  • a teaspoon of vanilla

After 20 minutes, strain and store in a glass jar.  You can sweeten your chai with anything and add almond milk or cream if you want, but I wanted this beverage to be healing, so I made a date puree to sweeten mine:
blended up equal amounts - 1 cup each - of dates (or date sugar) and boiling water and puree.  Store in an airtight container in the fridge.

I like a super creamy 1/2 & 1/2 type creamer in my beverages so I made a cashew cream:
Soak 1 cup of raw cashews in boiling water for 20 minutes. Drain and add 1 cup of filtered water and puree.  Store in an airtight container in the fridge.

The purees yield enough for 8-10 chai teas, using about 2 tablespoons of each per drink.  It's a bit of work upfront, but easy breezy after that.  This combo makes a great cold beverage too.  This morning, I didn't fel like having coffee (which is ODD), so I added green tea to my chai...and YUMMO.

2. Savory turmeric broth

Steep the following ingredients in 6 cups of water for 20 minutes
  • 2 'fingers' of fresh turmeric root, grated
  • 3 inch piece of ginger root, peeled and grated
  • 4 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup of fresh oregano or 2 tablespoons of dried herb
  • 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
  • 1/4 cup of miso (I use brown barley aged miso)
Miso is alive, so be sure to let the brew cool off to the point where you can hold a finger in it for at least three seconds without burning before adding it in.  This condiment has some pretty amazing benefits as well!  This broth (sans turmeric) has been my standard cold/flu prevention tonic over the winter months.  My whole family came down with the flu a couple of winters back and I made a giant pot of this broth.  I was the only one to not get sick and the others got over it faster than usual.  BTW, strain the broth, if you'd like

3. Turmeric smoothie

  • 1/2 banana
  • 1 inch finger of fresh turmeric root
  • 2 tablespoons of date puree
  • 1 cup of coconut milk...or your favorite
  • 1/2 a cup of orange juice (or a spoon of concentrate and 1/3 cup of water)
Puree and enjoy.  I don't like this one frozen but if you do, slice and freeze a banana.  The o.j. is really important to the overall flavor of this recipe, so don't skimp on it or the turmeric will overpower the drink.

So there you go!  Feel free to share your thoughts and recipes :)





No comments: