Jason and Amanda Joy Wells were thirty-something newlyweds who, two weeks after tying the knot in spring 2009, moved into their first home, a beautifully preserved 1949 one owner home filled with charming character (and lots of potential)...not to mention the giant workshop and all the fruiting trees and bushes in the back yard. This site is meant to document the evolution of this house into their home as well as all of the events, occasions and happenings in and around it.


Saturday, September 22, 2012

How close can I get?

So, I decided a month or so ago to cut out processed sugar from my diet, which was less difficult to do than I expected.  I use raw honey in my morning cup of coffee and created a date puree to sweeten oatmeal, yogurt and chai tea...among other things.  Although I cannot claim to be a raw foodist, vegan, gluten free or even vegetarian,  I am incorporating all of these practices into my diet to the point where my meat intake has dropped by 90% and my dairy has dropped by 75%.  I find that I can't be too strict about anything or I end up eating a whole plate of bacon and a cheesecake.  The main goal is to eat as much 'whole foods' as I possibly can (in a meat and potatoes family).  Thankfully my family is curious enough to have a go at my 'concoctions' and over half the time, they really like it, if only for the novelty.  NOW, onto the actual post.

My husband LOVES apple butter...as do I but when the second ingredient is high fructose corn syrup, not so much.  How could I create something that was raw, free of processed sugars, really healthy AND tasted like apple butter?  Date puree.  I don't have real measurements yet - feel free to try it and let me know - but the test batch measurements were:
  • 1 tablespoon of date puree (1 cup of chopped dates. 1 cup of water. Soak. Puree.)
  • 1 cap full of apple cider vinegar
  • 1 dash of cinnamon
  • 1 TINY pinch of clove

I stirred it all up, brought it into Jason and asked him what it was.  "Apple butter?".

WIN.  I bet I can do a 'pumpkin' butter style too.

So why should you add dates into your diet?  Here are some of the many benefits of consuming dates:
  • rich source of vitamin A, B vitamins and vitamin C
  • High in fiber and amino acids
  • Improves digestive health
  • Aids in weight loss
  • Aids in relieving constipation
  • Invigorates a weak nervous system
  • Reverses anemia due to high iron content
  • Reportedly aids in preventing and healing abdominal cancer
  • Increases sexual stamina
  • Aids in lowering LDL cholestorol

SO there you have it.  Tonight, while Jason is at the OU game, I'm gonna make this tangy raw goat cheeze (miso and sauerkraut = interesting)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So how did the raw goat "cheeze" turn out? I'm intrigued because my husband has gotten really excited about fermentation and so we have homemade sauerkraut in the fridge, plus some store-bought miso.

Laura