Jason and Amanda Joy Wells were thirty-something newlyweds who, two weeks after tying the knot in spring 2009, moved into their first home, a beautifully preserved 1949 one owner home filled with charming character (and lots of potential)...not to mention the giant workshop and all the fruiting trees and bushes in the back yard. This site is meant to document the evolution of this house into their home as well as all of the events, occasions and happenings in and around it.


Friday, August 24, 2012

I made a magic potion

I'm a bad blogger, I know.  But this entry should make up for the long post drought. I recently made up a concoction to hopefully treat a recurring skin irritation.  I worked like a charm.  A week later, our pup - Napoleon - had a nasty skin reaction to the topical flea/tick treatment from the vet.  I decided to put some of my concoction on the giant 'pustules' and they immediately began healing. QUICKLY.  A week later, my husband had a skin thingy pop up on his cheek that usually takes a week to heal up...same story.  And now, friend came over last night with a swollen poison ivy patch on his arm.  He texted this morning asking if he could have some more of the concoction because it's "working great".  It also makes a FANTASTIC salad dressing base. SO, here is the recipe:
  • 1 cup of EV olive oil
  • 1 TBSP of turmeric root, shredded (Natural Grocers carries it)
  • 1 clove of fresh garlic, minced
  • 1 sprig of fresh oregano, chopped
  • a few turns of freshly ground black pepper

The longer it sits, the more potent it becomes.  All of these ingredients have some sort of skin benefit when applied topically. I don't know if dried oregano or turmeric powder will be as effective, but I'm sure it's better than nothing.  (add a 1/2 tbsp of each if using dry ingredients). 

The salad dressing is pretty simple too..I only make enough for each salad that serves 4 people.  I've never actually measured the ingredients out, but this is my best guess:
  • 1 TBSP of miso (i used 18 month aged barley miso)
  • 1 TBSP of water to mix into miso before adding remaining ingredients
  • 1 TBSP of oil concoction
  • 1 TBSP of Veganaise (or mayo...yogurt might work)
  • 1 TBSP of balsamic vinegar

One thing to note:  turmeric can stain things yellow and will leave a slightly yellow tint to your skin where applied.  Just sayin.  If you make this recipe and it speeds healing for somthing, I would LOVE to hear about it!

No comments: